Go to footer

Progress at Sleddale Hall

Post your pics and stories of your visits to the various locations from the film.

Progress at Sleddale Hall

Postby Tim » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:07 pm

I hope that this will be the first of many posts concerning progress at the house. I've been maintaining a low profile pending the outcome of my application for a Certificate of Lawful Use; the Lake District National Park Authority have now granted this which means that I have the go-ahead to restore the house.

It is posted somewhere else on this site but I'll post it again here - should anyone wish to see inside the house please send me an e-mail to this address: sleddalehall@btinternet.com

Tim
Tim

Re: Progress at Sleddale Hall

Postby crooked » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:29 pm

I've moved this to the locations section and stickied it.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

Postby oomska » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:34 pm

Well done Tim, your perseverence has paid off in the end, I think the pin stripe bods obviously like to flex their pencil sharpening muscles now and then just to maintain their well paid positions of power and make the mortals sweat a bit, now that is some good news in amogst the crap thats happening at the moment, in fact this should have been a Trevor Macdonald ( and finally ) on News at Ten, anyway may I plageurise a lasting toast to the future of Crow crag :thumbup:
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

Postby McFuck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:36 am

I want to see it but can't bear 8 hours trapped on an airplane.
Four floors up on the Charing Cross and never a job at the top of them.
McFuck

Postby shagsack » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:28 pm

This is excellent news! Well done Tim, on what must be a frustrating undertaking. Can't wait to see the house improve over the months/years.
shagsack

Postby oomska » Tue May 17, 2011 8:10 pm

Great news.......

oomska
Formerly wicksy42

Postby Tim » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:24 am

Update: The tendering process has begun and the Schedule of Works + drawings are with building contractors for pricing.
Tim

Postby McFuck » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:26 pm

A personal blog on your progress would be outstanding! with photos, of course.
McFuck

Postby Wrigglesworth » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:40 pm

Do you mind if we still have nosey at the outside? Obviously wouldn't do this when you are living there. It's just cool to go and have a look round. My mate, who has never been, wants to go and have a look up there next month.
Wrigglesworth

Postby craigix » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:53 pm

We had a wander up on Monday evening and the location is just amazing in good weather, we sat outside the cottage for a good hour just enjoying the view.

We're restoring an old house at the moment and I can imagine how amazing Sleddale Hall will be once it is done, especially the internal court yard.

Can't wait to see things start!
craigix

Postby Tim » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:17 pm

I'm pleased to report that works to restore the house began yesterday; Wednesday August the 17th 2011.

The first stage will be the construction of drains and there will be quite a bit of excavation on site. This means that the footpath running immediately behind the house is temporarily closed (detour route is to follow the fence from the gate to the stile) and if anyone reading this plans to visit the house I would be grateful if you would observe this and not enter the site as excavations and drainage trenches will be open.

The next stage will be to reinstate the two missing chimney stacks and increase the height of the third stack which was not rebuilt to it's original height when United Utilities re-roofed the house. Gutters and downpipes will also be reinstated and, no doubt, will be thoroughly tested by Winter. Then the house will start to dry out.

The missing roofs over the cold store and gig house (this is the lean-to closest the beck) will be put back.

The electricity supply is ordered - oh to be able to boil a kettle, have some light and not have to keep replacing the batteries in my radio!

Best wishes to all,

Tim
Tim

Postby coolyourboots » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:04 pm

Thanks for the Up Date Tim........... :wink:
coolyourboots

Postby craigix » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:23 pm

Tim wrote:I'm pleased to report that works to restore the house began yesterday; Wednesday August the 17th 2011.

The first stage will be the construction of drains and there will be quite a bit of excavation on site. This means that the footpath running immediately behind the house is temporarily closed (detour route is to follow the fence from the gate to the stile) and if anyone reading this plans to visit the house I would be grateful if you would observe this and not enter the site as excavations and drainage trenches will be open.

The next stage will be to reinstate the two missing chimney stacks and increase the height of the third stack which was not rebuilt to it's original height when United Utilities re-roofed the house. Gutters and downpipes will also be reinstated and, no doubt, will be thoroughly tested by Winter. Then the house will start to dry out.

The missing roofs over the cold store and gig house (this is the lean-to closest the beck) will be put back.

The electricity supply is ordered - oh to be able to boil a kettle, have some light and not have to keep replacing the batteries in my radio!

Best wishes to all,

Tim

I'm not sure what your plan is for heating is, but heat exchangers will dry the place out very quickly, they are very economical too, we use them in our old place and it cured the damp problems - easily the best solution when you have no gas supply.
craigix

Postby oomska » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:00 pm

Work commenced, great stuff.

oomska
Formerly wicksy42

Postby McFuck » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:15 am

are you volunteering with the work Oomska?
McFuck

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Locations, see?