Withnail and I Forum

Forum for fans of the 1986 film Withnail and I
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:07 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Progress at Sleddale Hall
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:07 pm 

I hope that this will be the first of many posts concerning progress at the house. I've been maintaining a low profile pending the outcome of my application for a Certificate of Lawful Use; the Lake District National Park Authority have now granted this which means that I have the go-ahead to restore the house.

It is posted somewhere else on this site but I'll post it again here - should anyone wish to see inside the house please send me an e-mail to this address: sleddalehall@btinternet.com

Tim

Post subject: Re: Progress at Sleddale Hall
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

I've moved this to the locations section and stickied it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:34 pm 
Formerly wicksy42

Well done Tim, your perseverence has paid off in the end, I think the pin stripe bods obviously like to flex their pencil sharpening muscles now and then just to maintain their well paid positions of power and make the mortals sweat a bit, now that is some good news in amogst the crap thats happening at the moment, in fact this should have been a Trevor Macdonald ( and finally ) on News at Ten, anyway may I plageurise a lasting toast to the future of Crow crag :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:36 am 

I want to see it but can't bear 8 hours trapped on an airplane.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:28 pm 

This is excellent news! Well done Tim, on what must be a frustrating undertaking. Can't wait to see the house improve over the months/years.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:10 pm 
Formerly wicksy42

Great news.......

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:24 am 

Update: The tendering process has begun and the Schedule of Works + drawings are with building contractors for pricing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:26 pm 

A personal blog on your progress would be outstanding! with photos, of course.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:40 pm 

Do you mind if we still have nosey at the outside? Obviously wouldn't do this when you are living there. It's just cool to go and have a look round. My mate, who has never been, wants to go and have a look up there next month.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:53 pm 

We had a wander up on Monday evening and the location is just amazing in good weather, we sat outside the cottage for a good hour just enjoying the view.

We're restoring an old house at the moment and I can imagine how amazing Sleddale Hall will be once it is done, especially the internal court yard.

Can't wait to see things start!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:17 pm 

I'm pleased to report that works to restore the house began yesterday; Wednesday August the 17th 2011.

The first stage will be the construction of drains and there will be quite a bit of excavation on site. This means that the footpath running immediately behind the house is temporarily closed (detour route is to follow the fence from the gate to the stile) and if anyone reading this plans to visit the house I would be grateful if you would observe this and not enter the site as excavations and drainage trenches will be open.

The next stage will be to reinstate the two missing chimney stacks and increase the height of the third stack which was not rebuilt to it's original height when United Utilities re-roofed the house. Gutters and downpipes will also be reinstated and, no doubt, will be thoroughly tested by Winter. Then the house will start to dry out.

The missing roofs over the cold store and gig house (this is the lean-to closest the beck) will be put back.

The electricity supply is ordered - oh to be able to boil a kettle, have some light and not have to keep replacing the batteries in my radio!

Best wishes to all,

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:04 pm 

Thanks for the Up Date Tim........... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:23 pm 

Tim wrote:
I'm pleased to report that works to restore the house began yesterday; Wednesday August the 17th 2011.

The first stage will be the construction of drains and there will be quite a bit of excavation on site. This means that the footpath running immediately behind the house is temporarily closed (detour route is to follow the fence from the gate to the stile) and if anyone reading this plans to visit the house I would be grateful if you would observe this and not enter the site as excavations and drainage trenches will be open.

The next stage will be to reinstate the two missing chimney stacks and increase the height of the third stack which was not rebuilt to it's original height when United Utilities re-roofed the house. Gutters and downpipes will also be reinstated and, no doubt, will be thoroughly tested by Winter. Then the house will start to dry out.

The missing roofs over the cold store and gig house (this is the lean-to closest the beck) will be put back.

The electricity supply is ordered - oh to be able to boil a kettle, have some light and not have to keep replacing the batteries in my radio!

Best wishes to all,

Tim

I'm not sure what your plan is for heating is, but heat exchangers will dry the place out very quickly, they are very economical too, we use them in our old place and it cured the damp problems - easily the best solution when you have no gas supply.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:00 pm 
Formerly wicksy42

Work commenced, great stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:15 am 

are you volunteering with the work Oomska?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next